Can a doctor charge you with a larger amount? 4 Answers as of April 08, 2013

I recently went to a Doctor and she told me I needed a test done. I have no insurance so she had the secretary call and ask how much the test would be for someone with no insurance and they said $138.90 and so I said ok. I went and paid the $138.90. Well today, I received a bill in the mail for $312.00. They didn't say anything about there being any more charges or I would have declined the test. Can they do that? Not say anything and then charge you a larger amount?

Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Sorry this is out of my area of expertise. id you request a written quote? Keep in mind the test costs don't cover the doctors time in evaluating the test results and reporting back to you generally.
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
There is usually some increased amount (about 20%) that they can charge. Most medical bills are negotiable. The insurance amount is less than the non-insurance amount. If you call then and describe that you were quoted a price, and paid the price in advance they should agree to the original amount.
Law Office of Alan H. Segal
Law Office of Alan H. Segal | Alan H. Segal
My understanding is that when you went to the doctor's office, you were told that you needed a particular test. The doctor's secretary made a call and informed you that the cost of the test would be $138.90. After taking the test, you said that you were billed $312. I would call the doctor's office and remind them what you were told and have them make an adjustment on the bill. If not tell them you will notify the attorney general's office for consumer protection.
Law Office of Mathew R. P. Perrone, Jr. | Mathew Roy Patrick Perrone, Jr.
This is not a patent question. I do not know the answer.