Can a detective take my statement even though I am only 17? 20 Answers as of June 27, 2013

There was a rape that happened to my neighbor but I do not believe her. When I found out the detective on the case wanted to talk to my brother who was there just like I was when the police arrived. She told me that the police can’t take my statement because I am a minor.

Police can take your statement at just about any age. No parent or guardian need be present.
Myles Hahn III Attorney at Law | Myles Hahn III
Retain an experienced criminal law attorney. Exercise your constitutional right to have the attorney present for questioning.
Of course, unless you refuse to cooperate.
The police can talk to anyone they want and can take a statement. If the suspect is a minor they are supposed to contact the parents, but they seldom do. Most parents are not sophisticated enough to warn their children never to talk to the police no matter what they threaten or promise. They do not even tell their sons not to have sex with a girl under 17 since it is statutory rape. They do not explain the consequences of committing a crime to their children and the children will not usually listen anyway. If you were just a witness the police can interview you and take a written statement or supporting deposition.
    Attorney at Law
    Attorney at Law | Michael J. Kennedy
    She is wrong. Cops interview minors without parental presence and permission all the time.
    Law Office of Richard G. Terry | Richard G. Terry
    That is not correct, the police can take your statement whether you are a minor or not. If they are accusing you of the crime then ask for you a lawyer and do not make any statements, you have the right to remain silent and to have an attorney. If you are merely a witness there is no requirement that your parents be present, they can actually come to your school and pull you out of class to talk to you.
    They can take your statement, you also have a right to refuse to give a statement.