Can a detective get a court to order you to interview with them? 10 Answers as of January 07, 2014

I was contacted by police and told there was an internal theft at work and I was on the list of people to interview. Because of the holidays and the fact that I live in "the sticks" with no public transportation or drivers license the interview was scheduled for a week after that conversation. During that time in talking to people at work I found out that no other employee had been contacted or knew anything about it and my boss fired me saying they were cutting hours. That replaced me though. Obviously, I'm being suspected of something. The officer is very rude and demanding on the phone. Today was the interview but we got hit with a major snowstorm so I called and said I'd come tomorrow morning. He shouted that id better because he’s been "chasing me" now for almost two weeks and if I didn't come in he'd have a court compel me to. My question is can that happen?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
The officer can get a material witness warrant, but will more likely just get an arrest warrant, and put you in jail.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 1/7/2014
Law Offices of Eric J. Bell | Eric J. Bell
You do not have to talk with him. You can assert your right to an attorney and your right to remain silent. You can still be charged with a crime but you cannot be compelled to be a witness against yourself. You should hire an experienced criminal lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 1/7/2014
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg
Law Office of Eric Sterkenburg | Eric Sterkenburg
Hire an attorney. Have your attorney contact the police officer to set up an appointment for the three of you to meet. It would be best to have this meeting in your attorney's office. Follow your attorney's advice.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/7/2014
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
He can make you come in but he can't legally make you talk. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT. If he says things like "I will arrest you if you do not talk", then let him do so. If they want to talk with you then they have not enough evidence and are hoping for a confession in order to hang you with your own words.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/7/2014
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
No he can't. I suggest that you hire an attorney immediately and do not talk to this detective without an attorney present.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/7/2014
    Milligan, Beswick, Levine, & Knox LLP
    Milligan, Beswick, Levine, & Knox LLP | Stephen P Levine
    No repeat after me "On the advice of counsel I will not submit to an interview" do not go to police station, if they are going to charge you or arrest you let them do it without your cooperation.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/7/2014
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    You have the right to remain silent. Only idiots talk to investigators/cops. Remember, no matter what you say it will be twisted around and used against you later.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/6/2014
    TAMBASCO & ASSOCIATES, P.C. Attorneys at Law | R. Tambasco
    This is typical of police. Unless you received a notice by the state to be deposed as a witness, the answer is no. This is just an investigation and you have no obligation to speak to the police. Think about retaining legal counsel to intercede on your behalf. It will be one of the best investments you make.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 1/6/2014
    Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
    You don't have to talk to the police.
    Answer Applies to: Minnesota
    Replied: 1/6/2014
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    Yes, he can get a subpoena to "force" you to come. You need to retain an attorney and not make any statements unless he is with you.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 1/6/2014
Click to View More Answers: