Can debt collectors call my work? 7 Answers as of September 10, 2013

They left a message for me with the receptionist and left the name of their company, which makes it obvious what it is about. Can they do this?

They are allowed to call your work just to inquire your where about's.
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
What you are describing is probably a Fair Debt Collection Practices Act violation, assuming it is a consumer debt and other requirements of FDCPA are met.
Kirk D. Miller, P.S. | Kirk Miller
No. Except under certain circumstances that don't seem to apply to you, ".a debt collector may not communicate, in connection with the collection of any debt, with any person other than a consumer, his attorney, a consumer reporting agency if otherwise permitted by law, the creditor, the attorney of the creditor, or the attorney of the debt collector." To do so is a violation of federal law. You should contact a consumer rights attorney. If you do not know of one, you can find one at naca.net.
Ryan Legal Services, Inc.
Ryan Legal Services, Inc. | Kevin Ryan
No. You must send a certified letter instructing them NOT to call your work.
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
This is one of those yes and no things. They can disclose the name of the company but only if expressly asked. But they cannot disclose anything about you owing a debt, so if disclosing the company name discloses the debt, they may have violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.