Can dating before my divorce is finalized hurt me? 6 Answers as of November 17, 2010

I am getting a divorce. If I start dating before it is finalized, can it count against me? We have been married for 3 years in the state of California, own a house and a car, and do not have children. Thanks.

Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
It should not have any bearing on your case legally. But I always recommend holding off until the divorce is settled. It can make the other party very angry and cloud her Judgment. If your case turns ugly it can cost you lots of money in attorney fees.
Dating during the divorce is not used against you.
Pisarra and Grist
Pisarra and Grist | David T. Pisarra
NO-FAULT divorce means that it does not matter who left the marriage, how they left, whether they are "cheating" or not. No Fault Divorce,which is now in every state in the Union, means that dating during marriage, or after you split up and before the divorce is final, will have no effect on the property division.
Given the circumstances you described in your question, including that there are no children involved, the answer is "no." There are no legal consequences for dating while your divorce is pending. With that said, it is prudent to keep your "dating" on the down-low to avoid stirring up any unnecessary conflict. Your dating life is your personal business.
The English Law Firm
The English Law Firm | Robert English
Go ahead and date. California is a community property state. The new dating should not affect property division.