Can dangerous schizophrenic parent get rights back to children? 3 Answers as of February 10, 2017

I have a friend whose husband violently attacked her out of the blue with a knife in front of their children. He is schizophrenic and has spent time in a mental hospital. He is now getting ready to go to court for the knife attack because he is now considered competent after getting his meds balanced. His attorney is pushing to plead guilty by reason of insanity. Will he even have a chance to have rights to his kids?

The Gufford Law Firm, P.A.
The Gufford Law Firm, P.A. | Joseph Gufford
I always tell people in family law cases "never say never". However, it appears that his mental health and criminal issues are very significant and that he might not see the light of day for a very long time. I would suggest that your friend consult with a qualified family law attorney to discuss the case in detail and determine a course of action. Now that he has been deemed competent, it might be the best time to serve him with a lawsuit.
Carey and Leisure | John Smitten
Probably not.
R. Jason de Groot, P.A
R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
Will he even have a chance to have rights? Yes.