Can a creditor still call me at work after my bankruptcy is discharged? 28 Answers as of May 30, 2013

My bankruptcy has been discharged for 2 years now and one of the debt collectors said that I had filed bankruptcy and called me at work. Can I sue them over this?

Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
Give them notice of the BK. If this continues, it may be actionable.
Braunstein Law, PC
Braunstein Law, PC | Jacob Braunstein
If the creditor was listed properly in the bankruptcy and your debt to that creditor was discharged, the creditor should not be contacting you regarding that debt post-discharge.
Law Office of Asaph Abrams
Law Office of Asaph Abrams | Asaph Abrams
Creditors are subject to the requirements of 11 USC 524 (on bankruptcy discharge). Contact your attorney to pursue a possible claim against a creditor for violation of a federal court order.
Yes, but the action has to be in the bankruptcy court. This is called "voodoo debt." The original creditor sold the debt to debt collection. This can go on for years. Log all calls and keep the letters (if any).
Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law
Philip R. Boardman, Attorney at Law | Phil Boardman
You should give them the bankruptcy case number. If they were originally under the bankruptcy, you can take them back to the bankruptcy court and ask the court to sanction them.
    Law Office of Jeffrey Solomon
    Law Office of Jeffrey Solomon | Jeffrey Solomon
    Yes, you can sue.
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Jackie Ferguson Graham
    You could. But you should just call your bankruptcy attorney and have him contact the creditor regarding the bankruptcy.
    Debt Relief Law Center | Roger J. Bus
    Yes. This is a violation creditors listed and discharged in your bankruptcy cannot call you during or after your bankruptcy is completed. If they continue talking to you after you inform them of your bankruptcy, ask calmly for their name, phone number, address so "I will know who to name as a defendant in my harassment law suit", etc.- the collector will hang up immediately.
    The Law Office of Marvin Wolf
    The Law Office of Marvin Wolf | Marvin Wolf
    Attempts to collect a debt discharged in bankruptcy from a creditor who was informed of the bankruptcy violate the court's discharge injunction, and they can be brought back into court to answer to a judge. There is a recent pattern of a creditor waiting 2 years after discharge and then trying again to collect, hoping the debtor does not know his rights. The time period you stated seems right for this scam. It may not be that creditor either, but possibly someone impersonating them. Debt relief agent and attorney.
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis | Todd Mannis
    You can initiate contempt proceedings against them in the Bankruptcy Court, which could result in monetary sanctions that they would have to pay. You might want to contact a bankruptcy attorney to see how good of a case you have here, and whether its worth pursuing.
    Kenneth A. Parker, P.C.
    Kenneth A. Parker, P.C. | Ken Parker
    Most likely, you would have to reopen your bankruptcy case and file a contempt action against them. If you had an attorney, refer them to your attorney.
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
    CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
    No.
    If the creditor had notice of the bankruptcy filing, it cannot call to collect on the debt. If it is a secured creditor, it can call for return of the collateral but for money.
    The Barger Law Firm
    The Barger Law Firm | Jason W. Barger
    If you included the creditor in your bankruptcy and they received notice of the bankruptcy, then by contacting you, whether at work or anywhere, they are violating the Order of Discharge as well as the Federal Debt Collection Practices Act. If you want them to just go away, tell them you filed for bankruptcy and received a discharge, that the account was included in the bankruptcy and that you will contact an attorney if they contact you again. On the other hand, what I recommend, is that you contact a consumer or bankruptcy attorney and explain what is going on. In these types of cases, the law allows for an attorney to recoup their expenses and fees from the violator so you may not have to pay them up front. It may also net you a few dollars in your pocket. Good luck!
    If it is a collection agency and not the original creditor, it is a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the order of discharge on your bankruptcy.
    A discharge is a permanent injunction against collection actions. If you are contacted by a creditor you should send a copy of your discharge to them. If they persist in calling you may want to file a small claims action against them.
    Yes, this is a federal lawsuit for a discharge violation. You should see an attorney as the creditor would have to pay your legal fees as well as damages to you. You should document their phone calls to you or your work.
    Law offices of John P. Brooke | John Brooke
    If you were discharged of this debt and they are calling you in regards to the same debt you very well may have a cause of action against them. I would definitely speak with a local attorney who deals with bankruptcy and Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA).
    Albert Law Group
    Albert Law Group | Alvin S. Albert
    Probably not if it was a legitimate mistake. If it is a discharged debt and the collector knows - and still is trying to collect - you should contact an attorney like us who specializes in debtor defense.
    No. If the creditor continues to harass you after your discharge, you have grounds to sue that creditor under federal and state fair debt collection practices acts. If you were represented in the bankruptcy, call your attorney regarding these violations.
    Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
    Yes that is presumptively a violation of the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
    THOMAS G. GILL, P.A. | Thomas G Gill
    It is illegal to attempt to collect a debt that has been discharged in bankruptcy. Yes you have remedies available to you. You should consult a bankruptcy attorney.
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC | Richard James Symmes
    Yes, it sounds like you would have a cause of action if the debt was incurred pre bk filing.