Can credit card companies garnish my social security if I have a disease which disables me so I collect SS disability? 8 Answers as of November 11, 2013

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Portland Bankruptcy Law Group
Portland Bankruptcy Law Group | Christopher J. Kane
No, a creditor cannot garnish your Social Security benefits.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 11/11/2013
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
No they cannot. That money is exempt from a garnishment. Moreover, they cannot even threaten you that they will take it.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 11/11/2013
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
They cannot garnish social security as long as it is not commingled with other funds.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 11/11/2013
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
You are uncollectable debt if that is your only income.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/11/2013
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Generally SSD is not subject to garnishment.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 11/11/2013
    Marc S. Stern
    Marc S. Stern | Marc S. Stern
    No, Social Security is exempt. It needs to be separately kept so there is no question that it is social security.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    No. Social security is exempt, both before receipt and after receipt and deposit into a bank account.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 11/11/2013
    Kevin H Pate
    Kevin H Pate | Kevin H Pate
    Your disability can not be garnished, unless you co-mingle it with other non-exempt funds and it can not be identified as exempt money. If you have any income stream that is non-exempt funds, keep it and your exempt funds completely separate in different accounts. Keep good records. If you presently co-mingle funds, stop, like today. Set up a new account.
    Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
    Replied: 11/11/2013
Click to View More Answers: