Can courts make someone go to drug rehab in Alabama? 4 Answers as of April 20, 2011

I know if someone is a harm to anyone else or a harm to them self you can go to the courts to make them go to drug rehab, but how is this done? and would they end up in jail instead?

The Court can set terms and conditions of probation that is imposed, or terms and conditions of any early release from incarceration. In the event a person is ordered to go to drug rehabilitation and refuses or fails to do so, the Court can consider revoking their probation and forcing them to serve their sentence in custody.
Probate court in your county would handle the involuntary commitment proceeding, but there are some risks of arrest, for instance, if the person was in possession of a controlled substance when they were picked up for the commitment hearing. Stay well.
Eversole Law, LLC
Eversole Law, LLC | Steven Eversole
This is a very open ended question. The answer can vary depending on how you mean your question. If you mean, can you, as a private citizen force another person to drug rehabilitation? The answer is not likely. If someone is arrested for a crime, the courts can force someone to rehab., and in fact it is done quite frequently. If the accused does not complete the rehab. they could end up in jail. Please feel free to call me with any further questions. I am an Alabama Criminal Defense Lawyer. Please feel free to review my website and my Alabama Criminal Defense Blog.
If you are charged with a crime, they can require treatment if you are found guilty or put on probation. If you don't do it, you go to jail normally. Judges also could require if a domestic situation.