Can a cosigner prevent my vehicle from leaving their property? 2 Answers as of August 25, 2011

No missing payments on an auto loan. Cosigner has made 2 payments but on time. Cosigner is parent. I live in California. Car bought and registered in Michigan. Insurance is good. A friend of mine is supposed to drive it to me and my cosigner/parent says the car isn't leaving her driveway. Can she do this?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Breckenridge and Walton
Breckenridge and Walton | Alan D. Walton
It is called self help. If the parent is on the title she owns it too. If you are sticking your parent with the payments, she can take control. If she is not on the title, I suppose you could file a police report, but apparently you voluntarily left it there, so it is not theft. You could return to Michigan and file a claim and delivery action, but she would have a valid counterclaim for the payments made. Why don't you just make good on the payments you stuck the parent with?
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/25/2011
Charles Schneider, P.C.
Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
She would have to be a co-owner of the car to keep it from you. You probably cannot get the police to aid you in getting back the car as they would compel you to get a court order as they regard it a civil matter.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/18/2011
Click to View More Answers: