Can a convicted felon serve on a non profit corporate board in California? 4 Answers as of February 22, 2011

Can a convicted felon serve on a non profit corporate board in California?

Depending on the nature of the enterprise, probably. I am not sure about boards where the enterprise is a school , day care etc. and the conviction is for a molest. It may also depend on the nature of the non-profit and its relationship to other shareholders, nature of the conviction and the felon's role in the corporation. Probably a question best answered by the attorney representing the entity.
There is no legal prohibition to it, but the bylaws may do so. It is up to the entity, through its board of directors, officers and members. ultimately.
Yes, there is no reason why a convicted felon cannot serve on a corporate board (I'd make a joke about corporate greed (oil companies?) and rich criminals here, but I will try to restrain myself. No state license is required for the Board member to serve, though the corporation is incorporated under California law. That does not mean that the Board member is an Officer of the corporation. The Board member should seek relief pursuant to Penal Code section 1203.4 ("expungement"), if s/he has not done so already, or a Certificate of Rehabilitation and a Pardon, if s/he went to prison.
You can't vote and you can't own a gun but I don't see why you couldn't be on the board of a non-profit though you will have to disclose that fact. If you need to be bonded you may have some problems.