Can a condo association foreclose on a unit for unpaid attorney fees even though I am current on my dues? Posted on April 03, 2011

I have been out of work for 10 months and could not afford this year's first quarterly condo/maintenance fee which was due by January 10, 2011. I was unable to pay in full because I was also hit with a special assessment of approximately $2500 that I paid in full on January 11. I sent the association half the quarterly payment ($506) on January 10 and the other half plus interest on Feb. 23. Even though I am now current on my condo dues, the association has put a lien on my unit and has threatened to foreclose until I pay the remaining balance. They've sent me two letters and expect me to pay a total of $588 that consists of attorney fees, interest, a late fee, a recording fee and mailing costs. If I don't pay these fees they have threatened to take further action. What can I do?