Can a company force me to pay my elderly mothers bills an why? 6 Answers as of June 23, 2015

Can I be made to take on her outstanding bills? They keep calling me. I am also ill myself and have told them so.

If it's a collection company you may have a FDCPA claim for harassment.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Unless you personally guaranteed payment of her debts (usually its required in writing) such as by co-signing for a loan you are not liable Please simply tell them that you are not liable and to stop calling. If they continue to call you you can contact an attorney and get them for violations of consumer protection laws.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr. | John C. Farrell, Jr.
If the bills are not in your name and you have no joint responsibility on the accounts then you personally do not have to pay them. I am suspecting they are calling you because they cannot reach your mother. May I suggest that you contact the law office of National Legal Center that specializes on protecting the elderly and disabled with debt.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq. | Stacy Joel Safion
Unless they have something in writing signed by you, no they cannot.
Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen
Law Office of Joshua R.I. Cohen | Joshua Cohen
If you were a co-signer, yes. Otherwise, no. You have a debt collection violation on your hands. You should talk to an attorney.
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    No. Children are not liable for parent's debts absent a written promise to pay signed by the child. If the calls are from a debt collector you have the right to direct them not to call in writing, which I suggest you exercise. Also, existing calls to you from a debt collector concerning a parent's debt violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The claim is your mother's.