Can a company force me to pay my elderly mothers bills? 10 Answers as of February 05, 2011

Can I be made to take on her outstanding bills? They keep calling me. I am also ill myself and have told them so.

Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
No a company cannot force you as such.
DiManna Law Office, LLC.
DiManna Law Office, LLC. | Dawn DiManna
No, you cannot be responsible unless you have co-signed.
No, unless you personally and freely agreed to pay your mother's bills before the bills were incurred.
No. Send a copy of the death certificate. Log all calls and if it continues see a lawyer about a unfair debt collection practices case, You must write down the date and time of all calls to have a good case.
Law Offices of Daniel A. Higson
Law Offices of Daniel A. Higson | Daniel A. Higson
No they cannot unless your name is on the credit card or contract.
    Stuart Jon Bierman  Attorney at Law
    Stuart Jon Bierman Attorney at Law | Stuart Jon Bierman
    This is something that you should discuss with a lawyer, but if you want to do the research there is a Federal statute called the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act which you can Google, and there is a provision in that Act about sending a certified letter to the collection agency which may be helpful to you. You should research this carefully if you don't want to consult with a lawyer since there are advantages and disadvantages to sending out the certified letter.

Bankruptcy may also be an option for her if she meets the criteria for assistance from the bankruptcy court.

I hope that you and you Mom feel better or at least don't have to deal with the stress of those calls in the future.
    Mankus & Marchan, LTD
    Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
    If you did not co-sign for any of your mother's financial obligations, you are not legally required to pay them.
    No, if you are not legally liable for the bills, nobody can force you to pay them.
    Law Offices of Lady Justice
    Law Offices of Lady Justice | Mona Patel
    Were you a cosigner on any of her debt? They cannot collect her bills from you unless you cosigned them and took on the liability.