Can a college professor record a class without consent? 1 Answers as of August 24, 2010

One of my college professors wants to record our entire class and put it on YouTube. This is a class that I am required by my major to take, and I must take it this semester. However, I do not want to be shown on YouTube. It is a small class that requires a great deal of discussion and I would invariably be recorded and broadcast online. The professor did not ask the students whether this would be ok and is not budging. I spoke with him about this issue and he told me that if I was not comfortable then I should not take the class which I obviously cannot do. What can I do?

Appeal to the school regarding your claims of privacy violation. There may be language in the schools handbooks and policies that allow it and you may have waived any complaints by enrolling. Research that. In general, he can legally record once he notifies everyone it is being done. Whether he can publically display your image is a different issue that should require your consent and a Model Release like photographers use when they include people recognizably in their images.