Can a collection agency take my federal income tax refund for a debt I owe? 9 Answers as of February 13, 2014

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
That depends on whether or not a judgment has been entered against you and the agency has levied on your tax refund. If this is your situation, you should consult with a qualified bankruptcy attorney for assistance.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Replied: 2/13/2014
Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
No, only government entities can intercept a tax refund. Once it is in your account a judgment creditor can attempt to seize it however.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/13/2014
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
Under most circumstances, no. However, if they are collecting back taxes or child support, they may be able to attach the refund.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 2/13/2014
Fluhr & Moore, LLC | Steven S. Fluhr
Only if they have a judgment against you or it is for student loan debt.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 2/13/2014
Hoang & Tran PLLC | Adam Tran
No, they cannot request the U.S. government to put a lien on your income tax refund.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 2/13/2014
Click to View More Answers: