Can a city or township get money from a cable company for being the only provider in that area? 5 Answers as of January 10, 2014

Lawyer for Independent Media
Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
Many cities and towns choose a cable company to serve the city. It costs a great deal of money for a cable company to install the infrastructure and equipment needed to provide cable to an area. Usually, the company will be given a long contract so they can make a profit in exchange for their investment. Sometimes, to interest a company in serving an area, yes, a city or town might provide part of the cost of this huge investment. City and town meetings are held openly so the public can attend. You may want to go watch and see how such things are decided.
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
If you mean a payment to prevent competitor from entering the market, the answer is no. It would violate anti-trust laws.
I suppose it would be a franchise fee for allowing the cable company to lay the cable. In that case, yes.
I believe that is the way it is done
Usually, there's an agreement between the city/township and the cable company that gives the company the exclusive right to offer cable service in the area and to string cable lines in public right-of-ways, for which the company pays an annual fee to the city/township.