Can a citiation affect my naturalization process? 9 Answers as of June 18, 2013

In 2009, I received a citation from hennepin county court, MN regarding a bank account that was closed for non payment, but the amount was later paid to the collection agency after I received the citation. Can this affect my naturalization process?

Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC
Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC | Alan R. Diamante
Only a misdemeanor or a felony can potential affect your naturalization and not civil matters or bankruptcy.
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C.
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C. | Kenneth Wincorn
This should not effect your application if there is not more to the story .
The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
No.
Yahima Suarez, A Law Firm, PL | YAHIMA SUAREZ
You need to find out if the "citation" you received under the MN laws is considered a crime involving moral turpitude for immigration purposes. You should contact an immigration attorney in MN to help you with this matter. Traffic citations usually do not affect; however, for what you express, the citation may have involved fraud, and this COULD affect your immigration process.
It is in our best interest to meet with an immigration attorney prior to filing for naturalization or if you have already filed, before the interview. It is important you have all the documents related to the matter. This will allow the attorney to give an informed opinion. You will also need to present certified court records to USCIS. USCIS has broad discretion to determine good moral character. It will depend upon the outcome of the matter. It will also depend upon whether there are any other adverse factors present.
    Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
    No, a citation for a bank account would not affect your naturalization process.
    Bell, Nunnally & Martin, LLP | Karen-Lee Pollak
    It will most likely not affect your application. We would need to know what you mean by citation.
    Baughman & Wang
    Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
    Unlikely as it does not appear to be a criminal record.
    Law Offices of David Stoller, PA | David H. Stoller
    The answer is that it depends. In Florida, the provision of law discusing most worthless check cases does not require any intent to defraud. With no intent to defraud, there should be no issue. Your case was not a Florida case so the only advice I can give is to consult with a qualified attorney. Minor cases like yours should not be all that big of a deal. However, you should always disclose anything that may even come close to creating a potential problem. Far too often, Applicants try to outsmart the government with the idea that nobody will know or care. Bad idea. Again, I would suggest a consultation with a qualified and licensed attorney who can answer your questions and provide some guidance.