Can child support legally accrue interest? Posted on July 19, 2011

My husband's judgement was the following: ORDERED AND ADJUDGED, that the Defendant, X's name, is awarded a judgment of and from the Plaintiff, my husband's name, in the amount of $15764.00, for child support arrears and attorney's fees incurred. The Defendant is awarded an additional judgment for accrued interest in the amount of $648.11. That the judgement for child support arrears and attorney's fees shall bear interest at the rate of 4 per cent until paid. It is further ORDERED AND ADJUDGED, that the Plaintiff, my husband's name, shall be incarcerated in the custody of the Sheriff of Harrison County, Mississippi until such times as the child support arrears is paid in full, but such incarceration is suspended provided that the Plaintiff shall pay the sum of $2000.00 to the Defendant not later then August 4, 2009, and the sum of $500.00 per month beginning September 1, 2009, until such judgements and interest are paid in full. We paid $2000 in August of 2009 and then beginning in September, $500 a month. (As of July 2011 we have paid a total of $13,500.) We are wanting to send her a final check for payment in full but are confused by the interest. I called the attorney who did our side of the case but he is on Active Duty and not in the office. I would like to get the check out ASAP but need amount or how to calculate this.