Can child support affect immigration residency? 2 Answers as of June 10, 2013

My husband has a child with his ex-girlfriend, never married to her and she was married to another guy while with him, and she is trying to put child support on him. Soon he will try to get his residency, will this affect him in anyway?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Not under the circumstances. This will depend on many things. If the ex gave birth to your child while she was married to another man, then by law that child is not your husband's. The child is the child of the ex-girlfriend's husband. Period. Unless there is a court order stating the contrary. Do not take this to the bank yet. Do consult with a family law attorney. This is an important matter that can answer the child support issue and your husband's residency question. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/16/2011
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
No, not very likely.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 6/10/2013
Click to View More Answers: