Can child support affect an immigrant for residency? 6 Answers as of June 08, 2011

My ex whom is married has a green card. We have a child together. I'm planning on filing for child support soon. Will this effect his residency?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
An order for child support generally will not affect permanent residence. However, non-payment of such will affect both his permanent residence and any subsequent application for naturalization.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/8/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Yes it will. Failure to Pay Child support is a punishable civil offense that can have criminal ramifications. He can be jailed for contempt of court and once an arrest occurs, USCIS and ICE are always interested in the minutiae of something like that. Especially when time to renew his green card of file for citizenship comes. It is better to deal with that end of things than to have to worry about it at the worst possible time. In a nutshell, no one is coming to take his green card away. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/7/2011
Kuck Immigration Partners LLC
Kuck Immigration Partners LLC | Charles Kuck
No, it will not affect his residency.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/7/2011
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
No it won't affect his residency only his application for citizenship.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/7/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
It should not. If you are awarded child support from him and he does not pay it could affect his eligibility for citizenship but hopefully he would honor any court orders. You can also voluntarily work a child support arrangement if your relationship is amicable. I would suggest putting this in writing and he should keep a log of his payments or other proof.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/7/2011
Click to View More Answers: