Can a child get their own attorney in a custody dispute? 6 Answers as of August 17, 2015

Can a child get there own lawyer? How does he/she do it?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
The court may appoint an attorney for the minor if the parties suggest it, or the court feel on its own motion that it would be helpful.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/17/2015
Law Office of Barton R. Resnicoff | Barton R. Resnicoff
Usually, the judge appoints an Attorney for the child(AFC), especially if old enough to have his/her own opinion. Occasionally, a child will located and retain private counsel of their choice, but should not be necessary. AFC are required to present his/her client's position no matter what the child's age, if the child has a position.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/10/2015
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr.
Grace Law Offices of John F Geraghty Jr. | John F. Geraghty, Jr.
Ask Judge to appoint.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/7/2015
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
The attorney appointed to represent the child is called "minors counsel". If the court feels it's appropriate for the child to have representation, they can choose an attorney from a certified list of individuals trained to serve in that position. The parents are responsible for paying the fees of that attorney.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/6/2015
John Russo | John Russo
You or the opposing party must petition the court for the appointment of a guardian ad litem for the child that will be a separate legal cost.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 8/6/2015
    Peggy M. Raddatz
    Peggy M. Raddatz | Peggy M. Raddatz
    The lawyer of the mother or father files a Motion to Appoint a GAL or Child representative. The judge then will appoint one if he or she agrees that there is a need. Typically the parties will split the expense of the third lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 8/6/2015
Click to View More Answers: