Can a child at the age of 17 years old move out of her parents house? 10 Answers as of February 26, 2013

My kid was telling me she could move out of house at 17 years old. Is this true?

Fox Law Firm LLC
Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
You are responsible for the child until she is emancipated, which in IL the the term emancipation shall be defined as the occurrence of the first of the following events: (a) a child's marriage; (b) a child's 18th birthday or graduation from high school, whichever is last to occur, (c) a child maintaining a full-time residence outside the home of the parent having the residential custody of him/her, exclusive of a child's residence at a secondary boarding school, camp, or similar facility; (d) a child's obtaining full-time employment , exclusive of employment during school vacation periods;(e) a child's induction in the armed services of the United States or the National Guard; or (f) a child's death.
Fran Brochstein
Fran Brochstein | Fran Brochstein
No, technically it is 18. However, I doubt that the sheriff or constable will do anything. If you have any questions, call your local sheriff and/or constable's office and ask their opinion. You can also call CPS but I don't think they will get involved because they are overwhelmed with small children in crisis situations. However, the 17 yr. old can leave the house with the clothes on his/her back. Everything belongs to you unless the 17 yr. old inherited it or received it as a gift. That means the furniture, clothes, cell phone, computer, car, etc. belongs to you. You can call the sheriff or constable and make sure that the 17 yr. old leaves your home peacefully without an incident. You can ask their opinion about what the 17 yr. old can leave with. I do recommend that you re-key your home, change your alarm code. I have had many clients homes get broken into within 6 months by "friends" of the 17 yr, old looking for money and electronics. So hide your money and make sure your insurance policy is current. Remove all "hidden" keys outside. Hide where you keep your spare car keys.
LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
When child is an adult 18, she can move out. If she moves at 17 she's a run away unless she's emancipated and can do what she wants.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
In Michigan the age of majority is 18.
Law Office of Rebekah Sass
Law Office of Rebekah Sass | Rebekah Sass
The legal age of majority is 18. Parents have a responsibility to provide for their children until 18. Unless of course your child is emancipated, such as being on active duty in the military or married.