Can the case be dismissed if there is no video in DUI case? 10 Answers as of April 25, 2014

I was "paced" for speeding one night after having some drinks at a friend's house a few weeks ago. The officer initiated a traffic stop and then conducted a field sobriety test that I failed, apparently. I hired an attorney immediately and they sent for the video of the traffic stop and Blood Test results. The state sent a letter to my attorney stating that they do not have the video. We are currently waiting on the blood test results, but I am wondering if the legality of the stop can be called into question considering the officer's probable cause was speeding, confirmed by "pace". Doesn't there have to be a video to prove his probable cause for stopping me? Thanks.

No there does not have to be a video for probable cause.
Highly unlikely. However, since you have an attorney, I will not second guess what he is doing.
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC
Law Office of Thomas A. Medford, Jr., PC | Thomas A. Medford, Jr.
Since you have an attorney you should address your question to him or her.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Law Office of Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
Not necessarily. For years before video cops were lying about probable cause. CHP order says has to be video. Do find out why no video.
Anderson Law Office
Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
Once you retain an attorney you need to talk with that person with regards to your case.
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    Video is not mandatory and "paces" are an accepted way to prove speed. There may be an issue if there was a video but it has not been preserved.
    Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
    1. Trust your attorney. 2. You can always challenge the stop but you run the risk of alienating the Judge if the challenge is for a frivolous reason.
    There does not have to be a video to prove probable cause. His word as an officer is enough. HE is not your pot head friend, he is a police officer. Either there is no video and never was, which means there no more to argue on that point. OR there was a video but it has been lost, in which case there are a number of arguments that your attorney can make.
    The Houser Law Firm, P.C.
    The Houser Law Firm, P.C. | A. Bowden Houser
    Probably not. Pacing or visually estimating speed is a legitimate basis for doing a traffic stop. Typically, unless you were involved in an accident, there would not be a blood test but rather a breath test and you should have received the results of that at the time the test was performed. The fact that there is no video may be helpful if you elect to go to trial but basically if everything was done properly on the officers end and your BAC comes back greater than .10 you are basically looking at your attorney being able to do nothing but minimize the punishment aspect as much as possible.
    They don't need a video to confirm speeding. The officer's testimony is enough to substantiate it. However, there may be other grounds to challenge the stop or your arrest.