Can a car dealership just do things to make you take a car you don't want? 10 Answers as of March 26, 2013

I went into a car dealership to look at buying a truck and the sales man first insisted on a truck I did not want. Then when we saw the truck, I wanted the sales man said I would have to have 3000 down. The next day in the mail I got a flyer from this dealership saying that all trade ins are worth 2500 so I called the dealer and the sales man told me that that would not change the down payment because he would have to increase the price of the truck. Did not sound right to me.

No, but if you signed paperwork to buy something that you did not want, and if you waited more than 3 days to cancel, you are stuck.
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
I would need to read what you signed before expressing any kind of a legal opinion.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
It doesn't sound right to me either. But it might not be illegal. The obvious thing for you to do is to go to a different dealership, and perhaps report the one where you were poorly treated to the Better Business Bureau.
This used to be a free country before Obama and his type took over. You are free to do what you please. It is up to you as to what you pay for a truck. If you think the dealer is not being honest, get away from him as fast as you can and find someone you trust. Car dealers are fast talkers. That is what they do to everybody. That is how they become car salesmen the only way you control them is by walking away, that is AWAY.
It doesn't sound like anybody made you do anything. You saw the truck you wanted, but you didn't like the deal, so walk. Somebody else wants to sell you a truck.
    Find another dealership.
    No. a dealership cannot make you take a car you do not want. Other than that I do not see a question here. You don't like there offer, you do not have to take it.
    Law Office of Christian Menard
    Law Office of Christian Menard | Christian Menard
    I suggest you take your business elsewhere and deal with an honorable dealership. It does not sound as though the people you are now dealing with have any integrity. I would also suggest you file a complaint with the BBB (Better Business Bureau). I am sure the general public would be interested in knowing about this dealership's practices.
    You know, you don't have to say yes when the salesman says I want you to buy this truck. You can walk away. See if you can cancel the agreement.
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
    Go to a different dealer.