Can a Canadian resident be extradited to the US for unpaid child support? 3 Answers as of March 10, 2011

Can a Canadian resident be extradited back to the US for unpaid child support payments?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Rose Attorney at Law
Michael Rose Attorney at Law | Michael Rose
Child support payments are used to take care of your child. If the child support is a result of welfare then the state took the responsibility and would like to be paid back for caring for your child. If you hold a US passport, the support agency can put a hold on your passport until the support is paid in full.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/10/2011
Glenn E. Tanner
Glenn E. Tanner | Glenn E. Tanner
Unfortunately, I have no experience or insight into this question that is likely to be very helpful. I believe the answer is very specific to the State that is doing the enforcement. To figure this out, I would contact the agency that handles child support collection in your state, if your state has such an agency. At least some states have free services to help collect support. But, as taxes are cut, some of what such agencies can do has been curtailed. If there is an universal answer that applies to all states, I am unaware what it is. If you are trying to extradite, or fear being extradited, by private action, I am unfamiliar with if or how this could be accomplished. Sorry I could not be of more help.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/10/2011
Cody and Gonillo, LLP
Cody and Gonillo, LLP | Christine Gonilla
Extradition involves criminal conduct. If unpaid child support is a crime in the state at issue, then you should contact the law enforcement officials there.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 3/10/2011
Click to View More Answers: