Can a California Superior Court award attorney's fees related to a bankruptcy case? 3 Answers as of June 10, 2013

Does the state court have jurisdiction over awarding fees for preparing documents for a federal case? Is there authority / case law? They were not contractually awardable attorney's fees: they were attorney fees related to both the small claims case (which I lost) and the semi-unrelated bankruptcy which she had the same attorney for.

The question is a little confusing. I think what happened was you lost in state court and the state court judge awarded the other side attorney's fees and costs in connection with that small claims case and the bankruptcy case. First of all, no attorneys are allowed in a small claims case so there shouldn't have been fees there. Second, the state court can not award fees for something that happened in the bankruptcy court.
CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE).
CONSUMER PROTECTION ASSISTANCE COALITION, INC. (DE). | Gary Lee Lane
No.
A California court cannot award attorney fees for a bankruptcy.