Can a cable company garnish all my SSI? 6 Answers as of September 11, 2013

I consented to one payment and I said one time only. They said they were going to take all remaining out next month all me and my daughter's money after I didn't consent. They put it through can they take all our money.

Portland Bankruptcy Law Group
Portland Bankruptcy Law Group | Christopher J. Kane
Creditors cannot garnish your SSI. Only the IRS can garnish that money.
Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC
Mark S Cherry, Attorney at Law, PC | Mark Cherry
When you say "Garnish," it indicates to me that they have a judgment. Once your SSI goes into your account it is commingled with your other funds and loses its identity as SSI.
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
What you are describing is not "garnishment," which is a court ordered procedure. You authorized an electronic funds transaction or the creation of a "remote check." Further debits depend wholly on your consent. If you do not want further funds taken, notify your bank and the creditor in writing. Changing your account would not be a bad idea. Without your consent any removal of funds from your account is unlawful. If they attempt it, you can sue and recover damages. Social Security and SSI funds are not subject to garnishment or other legal process in favor of a creditor.
No, they are not allowed to take ssi money
Pfeuffer Law Office
Pfeuffer Law Office | Joseph Pfeuffer
No. If a creditor other than the federal government tries to garnish your Social Security benefits, inform them that such an action violates Section 207 of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 407). Section 207 bars garnishment of your benefits. It can also be used as a defense if your benefits are incorrectly garnished.
    SmithMarco, P.C.
    SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
    No they cannot. They cannot touch your disability income at all. The very threat of taking it from you as a collection tactic may violate the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. You can call us for a free review on that- you may be entitled to money from them for making you believe that they were going to take money from you that they know full well is exempt from any garnishment or attachment.