Can being married to a US citizen actually hinder the immigration process? Posted on July 24, 2011

My husband and I currently stay in Singapore. He is Singaporean, and I have a long-term family visitor pass. I suffer from seizures and other problems caused by non-malignant brain tumors. Between 2004 and 2006 I had to leave Singapore and stay in the US on a wait list for brain surgery, which was only partially successful. After surgery, my husband tried to visit me to care for me during my post-op. He also brought 2 of our 4 cats from Singapore, as he knew how lonely I was. Immigration asked him why he wanted to come into the US, and he told them the truth: that he wanted to care for his wife, and even hoped some day to come and live here and find work here. He was deported on the spot (Michigan airport), allegedly for attempting entry under false pretenses, which is not exactly true. There was nothing false in what he said. How were we to know that people entering the US with an implied visa are not even allowed to "think" about immigrating? We had only been told by Immigrations hotline Customer Service that if he came here as a visitor, then decided to stay, that he would have to apply for a change of status. He is Muslim, and I am Christian. They said that because he was married to a US citizen, they worried he might "get loose" in the system. That is the first time I ever heard that being married to a US citizen can be a handicap in coming to the States. We were told he has a black mark on his record and now needs a special visa to be allowed to visit again. I cannot find any such visa - only immigration forms for this type of circumstance. Can you assist us in this? He is a good man, and neither of us has any criminal record. He likes his job in Singapore. We have a good home here and no intention of immigrating to the US at this point, though over time, as my parents get older, we may need to do so to care for them. This black mark for something we did not do is painful.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: