Can a bankruptcy trustee dismiss my case because of missed payments? 7 Answers as of October 13, 2010

I have been making payments to my Chapter 13 repayment plan for a little over a year. I have fallen behind because of tough economic times. My trustee has threatened to petition for a dismissal. What is going to happen?

Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
Yes, a trustee can move the Court to dismiss your Chapter 13 bankruptcy due to your failure to make plan payments. If you have a bankruptcy attorney, you should consult with him now. If you do not have a bankruptcy attorney, you should call a certified specialist in bankruptcy law and make an appointment for a free consultation. A judge will most likely grant the Trustees Motion to Dismiss your case if you do not file a persuasive opposition. You should have your bankruptcy attorney analyze whether or not your case can and should be converted to a Chapter 7 or your plan should be amended.
If you did not file a motion to modify your plan payments and have that approved by the court, by guess is the judge will dismiss your case.
Law Office of Barbara Seeley Curtis
Law Office of Barbara Seeley Curtis | Barbara Curtis
You will be dismissed. You lose everything you put in. You can convert to a chapter 7 if your income is below a certain amount.
Law Office of Larry Webb
Law Office of Larry Webb | Larry Webb
You must discuss this with your attorney immediately. If you do not have an attorney, get one.
Yes, if you don't make payments your case will be dismissed.