Can bankruptcy protect from a future judgment? How? 13 Answers as of May 28, 2015

I was in a car accident in 2013. Will future claims from this accident be covered by bankruptcy? I have not been sued yet but I am fearful that I will get sued. If they do, will the bankruptcy protect me from the judgment?

Probably, but I couldn't answer this question definitively until you answered about 50 of my questions.
The bankruptcy will protect you as long as there are no issues such as driving under the influence.
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
Possibly. If you disclose the accident, notify the potential creditors AND you were not drinking or otherwise impaired at the time of the accident then all claims should be barred. Bankruptcy is a fact specific area of the law and you'd be best served by consulting with a knowledgeable bankruptcy attorney in your area.
Yes, bankruptcy will protect from any future claims for an accident that has happened prior to your filing.
As long as you properly list the potential claim in your bankruptcy papers, and the accident wasn't the result of you driving while intoxicated, then the debt should be discharged.
    Yes, when you file bankruptcy list the owner of the car and anyone in the car on your schedules are creditors. Then you'll be protected against any future claims from them (unless you were driving drunk when the accident occurred).
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    Yes unless it was a result from a drunk driving incident.
    Yes. Unless at the time of the accident you were driving under the influence of an intoxicant contrary to state law.
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis | Todd Mannis
    Bankruptcy would cover you as to all debts you owed or incurred prior to up to and including the date of bankruptcy filing. This would include any liability for your car accident assuming we are not talking about drunk driving issues, etc.
    Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
    If you file bankruptcy you must list all creditors and all potential creditors. If you list the other parties in the accident and, if there were no issues regarding malicious behavior or driving under the influence, then any potential damages resulting from the accident would be included in the bankruptcy.
    I assume that you now have potential liability for the lawsuit and would not be getting involved in another accident with the same people in the future. So you would want to list this possible debt in your bankruptcy.