Can a bankruptcy hurt my chances of getting a job in the future? 9 Answers as of December 15, 2010

Can filing for bankruptcy hurt my chances of getting a job in the future since it is on the public record?

David R. Fondren, Attorney at Law
David R. Fondren, Attorney at Law | David R. Fondren
That primarily depends on the potential employer and their view of bankruptcy as a security risk or financial risk or past risky behavior, etc. Some employers may see it just the opposite. The bankruptcy is out in public and cannot be used for blackmail. The debts have been discharged or in a plan and there is a reduced risk of embezzlement. Bankruptcy is not a protected class in employment discrimination. They may want to know why you filed.
DiManna Law Office, LLC.
DiManna Law Office, LLC. | Dawn DiManna
Potentially if this question is asked of you on an employment application or a credit report is run. It also depends on the type of job.
Anti-Discrimination Laws prohibit an employer using a Bankruptcy to not hire you. However there has been a trend to order a credit report on all job applicants and I believe that it will hurt you.
Mankus & Marchan, LTD
Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
Sec. 525 of the Bankruptcy Code prohibits a private employer, or a government unit, from terminating the employment of, or discriminating with respect to employment against an individual who is or who has been a debtor in bankruptcy, or an individual associated with such a debtor.
Maclean Chung Law Firm
Maclean Chung Law Firm | G. Thomas MacLean Jr.
Bankruptcy will show up on your credit report, so future employers will see it if they do that type of background check. Whether or not it will affect your ability to get hired may depend on the type of job, however that his highly subjective to what the employer is looking for. I've personally never met anyone who had their bankruptcy affect future job offers.
    Law Office of Raymond J. Dague, PLLC
    Law Office of Raymond J. Dague, PLLC | Raymond J. Dague
    Over the years I have discovered that there is really very little, if any, long term effects from a bankruptcy filing.
    It can, but it really depends on the type of job and whether it is an issue to your potential employer. For most jobs it is completely irrelevant.
    The Shakoori Law Group
    The Shakoori Law Group | Rachelle Shakoori
    Under the law employers are not suppose to discriminate against you based on your bk filing; however, its hard to know if that was the reason they did not hire you.
    Ursula G. Barrios Law
    Ursula G. Barrios Law | Guillermo Machado
    Not normally, but bad credit and lots of debt can hurt your chances of getting a job and keeping it. Bankruptcy shows a good faith effort to remedy a poor financial situation. If you are already contemplating, you should not hesitate because you only prolong the suffering and the inevitable. Filing can actually put you on the quick road to recovery...faster than most people think.