Can a bank foreclosure and give me a deficiency judgement on a home equity line of credit loan? 8 Answers as of May 08, 2013

Can a bank foreclosure and give me a deficiency judgement on a home equity line of credit loan? The money was used in a business that went bankrupt in 2009. I reported it in the internal revenue services in 2011. Can they legally take my grand parents by force?

Janke Legal Consulting | Bruce C. Janke
If the HELOC contract states that it is a recourse loan, then yes the lender can sue you in court and obtain a money judgment for the difference between the auction price and the loan balance ("deficiency"). A non-recourse loan means that the lender's remedy is limited to taking back the property regardless of the loan balance. Since the purpose of the loan was for a business and not related to the property, then I expect it is a recourse loan. I have no idea what you mean by taking your grandparents by force.
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
Generally speaking, a lender can seek all of the money it is owed under a promissory note. It does not matter what the money was used for. You should hire a lawyer to negotiate with the bank and look for counterclaims against it.
Richard L. Hirsh, P.C. | Richard L. Hirsh
Not sure why you are mentioning grand parents but otherwise, yes, the bank can take a deficiency on a home equity line of credit regardless of what the purpose of the loan was.
Frank Law Group, P.C.
Frank Law Group, P.C. | David E. Frank
In California, the lender can only do that by way of a judicial foreclosure, unless there was a senior loan which foreclosed first. If that happened, yes, the equity lender can sue you personally after the senior lender forecloses.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq. | Stacy Joel Safion
The bank can pursue you on a equity line after your foreclosure.
    I am not clear on what you are asking. Is the HELOC company foreclosing on the property?
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
    It depends on the exemption laws of the state where you live. Each state has a list of exemptions, which is property that is protected from creditors. Exemptions differ dramatically state to state. You can also talk to a good bankruptcy attorney in order to determine your rights.
    If the home equity line secured real property then yes, they can foreclose but if you received your bankruptcy discharge then they can not go after a deficiency judgment.