Can attorneys provide copies of questions and answers? 4 Answers as of February 21, 2012

Can Attorneys of record at his discretion for either the Plaintiff or Defendant in a civil or class actions law suits provide copies of any questions and or the answers to any Interrogatories? Questions that were asked and or answered by either party and the person whom is asking for the copies is one of the parents of a 7 year old minor child whom has court order shared parenting responsibility and was not informed of this law suit until three years after the fact and is not listed on any of the court documents and one parent and the minor Child our listed each as a Plaintiff and the one parent is listed also as next friend. Another question as the same above but only pertaining to any Depositions taken in the same case, any advice anyone can give me would have no ideal how grateful I would be.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
They can if they want to and with their client's permission, or a Court Order.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/28/2011
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
Yes. Just ask for a copy and you can get a copy of interrogatories. You ca get copy of deposition transcript but you might have to pay for it as it costs hundreds of dollars to get a copy from the court reporter.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/27/2011
Allen Murphy Law
Allen Murphy Law | W. Riley Allen
That completely depends. Those documents that are filed as part of a case that is public record may be accessible to many people (since it's a public record), but if not, then permission of the party legally acting on behalf of the child should be obtained before giving records out. The fact one may be a parent does not automatically grant access to the records of a child being represented in litigation through another parent. You likely need a lawyer to really determine with accuracy.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/27/2011
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
Generally, answers to written discovery including interrogatories, requests for production and requests for admission, can be provided to an interested party upon request. Some of those materials may also be part of the court file, if one of the parties filed them for any reason (sometimes they are filed, sometimes they are not). You could go down to the courthouse and ask to see the file. Bring the case name, case number and picture ID with you. One big exception that would prevent you access to the file is if the responses contain any confidential information subject to protective order and/or if the judge has otherwise sealed any part of the record. This can happen in cases involved alleged trade secrets (if the lawsuit is against a product manufacturer, the manufacturer may claim that its answers to discovery are trade secret and therefore not available to the general public). The same is true for depositions. If a lawyer wants to give you a copy he/she can so long as they are not sealed, but he/she is not necessarily required to. If the lawyers will not give you access to the materials but you feel you have an interest in the lawsuit because of a parental relationship with one of the parties (or any other valid legal interest), you can file what is known as an "intervention" motion with the judge in the case, seeking to intervene in the lawsuit as an interested party to be involved in the suit or simply to gain access to the information you are seeking. You would need to articulate to the judge why you feel you are entitled to intervene, and give copies of your filing to all the parties. I cannot tell from your question whether you have a right to intervene, but a lawyer in your area should be able to help you. There are procedures you need to follow and most people would not know what to do without the assistance of a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/21/2012
Click to View More Answers: