Can the apartments I live in renew my lease without my signature? Posted on May 25, 2011

I Live in Texas and my lease was going to be up in my apartment. I signed a paper that lets the apartment check for a criminal background. I never received a call for me to go to the office to sign the renewal of the lease. My wife went up there one day to ask the landlords if our lease went to a month to month or if they had to papers ready. They printed to papers up right there and my wife said that she wasn’t sure if we were going to renew or not since it was only a couple of days before rent was due and we also found a different place to live. She signed it anyways thinking the lease could not be complete without my signature and since that I am the only one with a source of income. A the next day I went up there saying that we were not going to renew the lease and that I was going to pay one more months of rent and that I was going to be gone. They told me that my wife already signed to lease and that is all that they needed to renew the lease. Is that legal even though they had a signature from my wife and she does not even work or bring in any kind of income?