Can any of my family press charges if I’m 30 dating a minor? 8 Answers as of March 05, 2014

I’m 30 dating a minor, who can press charges on me? Is it just him or his mom? Can any of my family press charges?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
They can't "press charges", but they can report you to the police.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/5/2014
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
In addition to being criminally charged by the county, the minor's family can file a civil suit against you on their own and on behalf of the minor. Your family can file suit against you if your actions cause them or their business(es) any harm, such as losing customers as a result of bad publicity about your actions. You are potentially looking at jail time, fines, sex offender status, financial damages, and attorney's fees and legal expenses.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 3/5/2014
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
It depends upon your age. It does not look good with the considerable age difference.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/5/2014
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
If you are breaking the law then anyone with knowledge of the crime can call the police.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/5/2014
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
Any one can try to press charges.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 3/5/2014
    TAMBASCO & ASSOCIATES, P.C. Attorneys at Law | R. Tambasco
    While the age of consent in Indiana is 16, depending on the circumstances and facts one could still be charged with sexual misconduct or seduction of a minor. Anyone who is aware of the relationship and believes it to be inappropriate may report it. After that it there will likely be an investigation. Once that has been completed, the prosecutor's will decide if it should be pursued. That's who brings the charges and the minor becomes a victim and witness. Unaware of the full set of facts, such a relationship is not advisable.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 3/4/2014
    Lawyer for Independent Media
    Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
    It is the States Attorney, or prosecutor, who presses charges for alleged crimes. In California, if you are 30 and dating someone under 18, if word gets to the police or to a prosecutor, you will almost surely be charged with extremely serious crimes. The word might even go to police from a concerned neighbor or friend, or from a teacher or coach or anyone else who has noticed what is happening. In California, it is illegal for anyone under age 18 to have sex, even with someone their own age. If someone older is having sex with someone under 18, it is considered quite serious. Even if no sexual activity has taken place, there are a variety of laws, such as grooming, which means preparing for sex, showing pornography to someone under 18, and many others. The consequences of having sexual relations with anyone under age 18 involve prison, placement on a sex offender registry, loss of qualifications for many licenses, professions and jobs, being prevented from living near or going near a school or playground for the rest of your life, and many other things. You must absolutely stop doing whatever it is you are doing, have no further contact of any kind with the boy or anyone connected to him, not even by phone or email, and get yourself a lawyer today. You need legal assistance immediately.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/5/2014
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    It is up to the prosecutor alone to press charges. A police report would have to be filed alleging some kind of sexual conduct or activity. If there is not, then no charges could be brought. However, that does not mean it is a good idea to continue such a relationship as it can only lead to serious trouble. Also, her parents can file for a restraining order against you.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/5/2014
Click to View More Answers: