Can an unemployed daughter sponsor green card for parents? 10 Answers as of April 24, 2014

I am not working since 2011 January. My husband and I are both naturalized citizens. Can I sponsor my parents for their green card using my husband as household member and his income as ability to financially support my parents or does he need to be joint sponsor?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
Yes, your husband can sign the affidavit of support as the household member if his income is sufficient.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/24/2014
Law Office of Adebola Asekun | Adebola O. Asekun
Short answer is you can file petition for your mother despite your unemployment. You can use your husband's income for the affidavit of support.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/21/2014
Law Offices of Linda Rose Fessler | Linda Fessler
You may be able to arrange it as cosponsors.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/18/2014
Perez-Jenkins Law, LLC | Patricia Perez-Jenkins
Nope, you are considered a household. He would have to sign the household member agreement and then you can use his income as part of the household.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 4/18/2014
Rivas-Rivera Law Offices
Rivas-Rivera Law Offices | Juan Ramon Rivas-Rivera
Yes you can petition for your parents. But, are they going to be living with you and your husband? If so, then he can sponsor as a household member, otherwise as a joint sponsor.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 4/18/2014
Click to View More Answers: