Can an undocumented person be my sponsor in order to apply for an F1 visa? 12 Answers as of June 26, 2013

Can an undocumented person be my sponsor in order to apply for an F1 visa?

I have never known a school to check status on the sponsor and am not aware there is a law that the sponsor must be a PR or citizen as there is for an I-864 sponsor. Best to get a PR or USC sponsor if possible though or have money transferred to your account to cover school.
A sponsor must be someone who is a lawful permanent resident or United States citizen as they must be legally allowed to work in the United States.
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C.
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C. | Kenneth Wincorn
The general answer is no.
Joseph Law Firm
Joseph Law Firm | Jeff Joseph
I am not sure that I understand your question. The F-1 visa is a student visa, so the school is technically, the "sponsor" on the visa. The designated school official must enroll you in school and must issue you an I-20 form which you will then use to obtain the F-1 visa at the consulate. One of the things you must prove to obtain an F-1 visa is that you have the financial capability of paying for your tuition, room and board while in the United States in school. If your question has to do with whether someone undocumented can act as that sponsor, I would say not without risk. That individual would have to disclose his or her address, bank account information, tax returns or other documentation of financial worth. This information would be presented to the consulate abroad. By doing so, the person would be bringing himself or herself to the attention of immigration.
King & Ballow
King & Ballow | Bruce E. Buchanan
No. An F1 is for a student thus the university is the sponsor.
    Immigration Attorneys, LLP | Robert R. Gard
    Short answer, no. Unauthorized employment cannot be used to establish income/earnings for affidavit of support purposes, and why expose this person (who wants to help you, but can't) to arrest and removal proceedings?
    Yes, there isn't any law precluding them, but there may be significant documentary and other information required. Much of it is related to a valid US immigration status.
    All American Immigration
    All American Immigration | Tom Youngjohn
    If the person is undocumented, and puts their contact information in any forms, then they would be placing themselves at risk, regardless of any risk they would be imposing on the F-1 Student Visa process.
    No, not possible.
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    No, the required income must come from lawful employment.
    The Law Office Kevin L. Dixler
    The Law Office Kevin L. Dixler | Kevin Lawrence Dixler
    No. The affidavit of support form requests an affirmation of greencard or citizenship status. You can cause further immigration complications to the proposed sponsor by encouraging them to lie.