Can an outside union charge me money for something I do not want? 1 Answers as of September 16, 2011

Recently on an 8 to 7 vote, it was decided that the union would "represent" our workplace. We are separated into two groups inside and outside. The 8 votes came from the outside group (not all of them). There has been very little communication from the union for the inside group. Now we are told that they will be "negotiating" on behalf of all of us. Since we have two different job responsibilities, their interests are not the same as ours. They further more want to "charge" us for their services. Being new to this, it sounds more like extortion to me. Can an outside group come in and charge me money for something I do not want?

Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC
Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC | Paul S. Bovarnick
Yes, if you're in Oregon. But my view is that you are better off with a union. You can become involved in the union, and you can have a voice in what is negotiated. Moreover, the employees are much stronger if they stand together, and they are much more protected with a union. My advice is to get involved and make sure your voice is heard.