Can an inheritance effect my social security benefits? How? 8 Answers as of September 21, 2015

I want to know if an inheritance of the house I live in (which was my mom's) will affect my social security disability?

O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C.
O'Keefe Legal Services, L.L.C. | Sean P. O'Keefe
In Maryland, if the disability benefits like Social Security Disability Insurance are based purely on a disability and there is no maximum/available asset requirement(s), then receiving an inheritance should not make one ineligible for the benefits.
Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
If the inheritance is the house only, then it shouldn't affect your benefits.
Christine Sabio Socrates Attorney at Law | Christine Socrates
It may, depending on what type of assistance you are on. A special needs trust can be set up to allow you to inherit and also avoid the disqualification from your benefits. I
I doubt it very much as it is not income from gainful employment, but ask them directly.
No, SSDI doesn't have an assets test. If a billionaire like Hillary Clinton was disabled and couldn't work she would qualify for SSDI (of course, she's way too old).
    Generally, Social Sec payments a result of your earnings during your best working years. Extremely wealthy people draw SS when they reach the magic age.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
    Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
    Social Security Disability benefits depend upon a mental or physical disability and are not income or asset dependent. Supplemental Security Income is dependent on income and assets and the benefits could be lost if income or substantive assets are received by the claimant.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    This is potentially a very complex question, and you should consult with a lawyer who does "elder law." IF what you receive is SSDI, then the inheritance of the house will not affect your SSDI. However, you may also be receiving other benefits which might be affected.