Can an immigration attorney help with my overseas marriage? 4 Answers as of September 28, 2010

I am a US citizen living in the United States. I want to marry a woman from Taiwan. Which country would it be better for us to get married and how should I get started?

There are several factors to consider and it cannot be done in one brief email reply since you do not provide enough information. I would be happy to discuss the process and the various options available to you. Please feel free to contact me directly.
I have received your e-mail, and I understand the dilemma you have. You want to spend as little time away from each other as possible, while at the same time get her green card as smoothly as possible. From the sounds of it you are presently engaged, or may about to be. If you have met each other physically at least once in the last two years, then you have something to work from. The fastest route, in my opinion, is to stay engaged, petition for her as an alien relative under what is called a K-3 program, have her file her K-3 fiance visa application, after you get the petition approved. After that, she picks up her K-3 at her local U.S. consulate, and then she can have approval to enter the U.S., but then you must get married within 90 days, and apply to get adjustment of status (green card application). It will take at least 3-5 months to get your fiance into the U.S., but it will be worth it.

If you wish to know more about proceeding with the marriage-based visa application, by all means call or e-mail me to set up a phone consultation.
V U.S.A. Law Offices
V U.S.A. Law Offices | Michael Vu
Yes. An immigration attorney would be able to assist you in the petition for alien relative, and all documentation required to secure approval from USCIS. Thereafter, your attorney should be able to guide you and your wife through the process of interviewing by the US Consulate and secure the grant of visa for your spouse to come to the United States.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
You can get married in Taiwan or in the United States and it will not affect the process. If your wife can enter the US on a tourist visa or other visa, then she may adjust status (apply for the green card in the US). However if she is not able to get a visa to enter the US, she must wait in Taiwan to process her green card, which takes roughly 6 to 7 months to complete. An immigration attorney will be helpful both if your wife is applying for adjustment of status or consular processing from Taiwans American Institute in Taiwan. Please contact me to get started after you have the marriage certificate in hand.