Can an immigration lawyer help me become a resident or citizen? 5 Answers as of January 06, 2011

If you are in jail and immigration wants you because you are illegal in the US and you sign this paper saying that you cannott try to become a citizen or resident of the US to get out of the US jail if that person is in Mexico and you get a lawyer can he become a resident or citizen?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
Signing a form at a deportation proceeding, while in detention preceding actual removal, that you cannot reapply for permission to petition for legal status is not a permanent bar, unless you are removed for committing an aggravated felony crime or crime involving moral turpitude (CIMT). The other instance is if you have been apprehended and removed after having been deported twice. The first removal then is for 10 years, then 20 years, followed by a permanent ban. If none of this applies to you, there is provision to obtain permission to file for a waiver of the bar, followed by a waiver of inadmissibility. These are technical legal provisions that can be addressed in a consultation which I can arrange to have with you, if you call or e-mail to set that up, either in person or by phone. Hope I can be of help to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/6/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You need to show us the paper before judgment can be made.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/17/2010
Pauly P.A.
Pauly P.A. | Clemens W. Pauly
This is not a question that can be answered in this forum. If you have certain criminal convictions as a result of your jail-time then you may not be eligible to become a US resident. Also, even if you have not been convicted of any crime, you may be ineligible to immigrate to the US for having been in the US illegally and then departed the US. You certainly need the help of an immigration lawyer to sort this out and advise you of your options for lawful immigration to the US.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 12/17/2010
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Becoming a resident or citizen is complicated whether you are in or out of jail. Normally you need a sponsor family-member or employer. We would be happy to consult on your specific situation if you wish to get in touch with us.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/16/2010
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
If this person was detained for a crime depending on the type of crime that the individual committed he or she may need a waiver to reenter the U.S.

If this person is married to a US citizen then an I-130 application with a waiver will have to be submitted prior to entering the US.

Please visit with an immigration attorney so that they may help you and answer any question.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 12/16/2010
Click to View More Answers: