Can an immigrant be deported after filing their taxes? 11 Answers as of March 30, 2011

My boyfriend is an illegal immigrant. He wants to do his part and filed his taxes, but he is afraid that if he does, he will draw attention to himself and be deported. Can he be deported for filing taxes?

The boyfriend may not be deported for filing taxes, unless he uses a fraudulently-filed Social Security card. However, he is an illegal immigrant, and that alone can get him removed from the USA, unless there is an exception that enables him to gain legal status. If you wish to discuss that further, please call or e-mail me to set up an in-person or phone consultation.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
The answer is no. Filing taxes will not cause deportation.
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
No, he will not get deported for being an illegal/ The tax return is confidential and wont be used for these purposes.
Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC
Fletcher, Tilton & Whipple, PC | Kirk A. Carter
To the best of my knowledge Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) does not use tax filing records by illegal aliens, who typically file using a taxpayer identification (TIN) number, as a basis for initiating removal or deportation proceedings. ICE has limited resources and
focuses the bulk of their efforts on seeking out undocumented immigrants with criminal records and those who have already been ordered removed or deported. It would be contrary to the government's goal of encouraging everyone to file and pay their taxes to use these records to penalize those attempting to comply with the law.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Did he obtain his social security card legally. Filing taxes will not get him deported.
    Mankus & Marchan, LTD
    Mankus & Marchan, LTD | Tony Mankus
    The filing of a federal tax return by an illegal immigrant generally does not result in deportation. If he does not have a valid Social Security number, he can obtain one from the IRS for purposes of filing the tax return.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    If he is filing taxes, he needs a social security number or other ID number so it is likely he has some sort of legal status so he can file taxes.
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    I have many clients, here illegally, who file their taxes using a tax ID number. When some of them get the attention of ICE, it is usually because of something else, such as being caught for DUI. I never had a client deported because he filed his taxes.
    Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
    Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
    No, filing his taxes is not going to give him any problems. Actually filing taxes will help him if at any time he tries to solve his immigration status.
    Meyer & Yee, LLP
    Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
    Filing taxes by itself should not result in deportation. The IRS is mostly concerned about getting revenue not about immigration enforcement.
    If he can file fax, he should. Criminal records alone might be reasons to deport. In other word, an experienced immigration lawyer may be able to help him to cancel order of deportation, but if he is guilty of invading tax law, the case may be too complicated for any lawyers to help.

You should contact an immigration lawyer to address your current situation.