Can an employer take 10 percent out of my check for workers comp? 2 Answers as of April 28, 2011

I work for this local landscaping company. We have a 1099 filled out at the end of the year and he takes 10 percent out of my check every week. He said it is to pay for workers comp. When I said something about it he called me 2 days later and told me that he no longer needed me and that he will come out cheaper paying the Mexicans that he got working for him so he let me go. Is there anything I can do about this, and is that legal for him to take the 10 percent out my check to pay for my workers comp?

Rice & Co., LPA
Rice & Co., LPA | Kollin Rice
In Ohio, workers' compensation premiums are generally the employer's responsibility and not paid out of deductions from an employee's pay.
Diefer Law Group, P.C. | Marcelo Dieguez
Under California law, it is well settled that you cannot reduce wages for workers compensation premiums. It is also illegal for an employer to terminate an employees employment for bringing this to their attention.