Can an employer require me to use my own money to make change for customers? 1 Answers as of April 28, 2011

Is it legal for an employer to require an employee to maintain a mandatory investment in a company without any pre-employment contract or agreement to do so? I am a server at a local restaurant and my manager has threatened me with disciplinary action for not bringing my personal money in to make change for customers while waiting tables. What are my legal rights in this situation?

David B. Sacks, P.A.
David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
The only right you have is to quit. If a condition of the job is that you supply your own change, then you must or find another job. If, however, the manager is only requiring YOU to bring your own money, but no one else, and there is some characteristic that is unique to you, i.e. you are the only minority working, then you may have a discrimination issue.