Can an employer not pay someone and what if they are undocumented? 5 Answers as of August 05, 2015

I was at a friend's house for dinner and a third party, whom I do not know, had been drinking and started bragging. He said that he had to pay for a vacation and a new car for his daughter so he could not meet payroll at his restaurant. He thought it was pretty funny that the employees were all undocumented workers who could not complain. He said he pays them what he can when he can but cannot afford to pay full wages weekly since the economy is so poor. Who can I tell about this? First that he staffs his business with undocumented workers and second that his is so disrespectful as to take advantage of these poor people who have no voice?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
you may report the employer to ICE, the immigration folks. While this will harm the offending employer, it may not be so good for the workers. You should decide if doing so will help the undocumented workers or not. Under Georgia Law, undocumented persons are denied access to the legal system when they attempt to enforce contracts, as a matter of law. This injustice is part of how our state chooses to treat them. You are right, they are "poor people who have no voice".
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/5/2015
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
No. Contact an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/4/2015
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
First of all report him to Immigration and Customs Enforcement in the Blue pages of the phone book. The wage issue can be reported to the US DOL, wage and hour division. Also in phone book.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 8/4/2015
Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
Yes, that is reprehensible behavior. Check with the federal and/or your state Department of Labor.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 8/4/2015
Goldstein and Peck. P.C.
Goldstein and Peck. P.C. | William J. Kupinse, Jr
The situation as described is not legal or funny. It can and probably should be reported to the State Labor Department and to the state taxing authorities and to the IRS. If so, there are likely to be repercussions for the owner and the undocumented employees.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 8/4/2015
Click to View More Answers: