Can an attorney offer discounted rates to employees of a certain company? 3 Answers as of June 29, 2011

We were approached by an attorney who wants to offer the employees of my company discounted hourly rates and flat fees. I think this is great, but wonder if this is legal. Also, in case he does not do a good job, can my employees sue me?

Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
Discounts can be offered without violating law. If you and the attorney make it clear to the employees that you are not requiring them to use the attorney and are not guaranteeing the results you should be fine. However, you should ask the attorney for references and check with the State Bar to make sure he is licensed and has no record of discipline.
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
It sounds proper without having more details. Check with your local bar association to seek responses to all of your concerns.
Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC
Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC | Paul S. Bovarnick
Yes, he can offer such a discount. If you know the lawyer is incompetent or a crook, you might be liable if the lawyer steals from one of your employees, but you would have to have some knowledge of the lawyer's dishonesty or incompetence.