Can an attorney help me present to production companies? How? 5 Answers as of May 08, 2015

I am looking for an attorney to assist me in contacting production companies with the intent of engaging them to produce my TV show creations. Can you help me with this? What is the best route/solution? Thanks!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Roe Law Firm
Roe Law Firm | Theodore M. Roe
Yes. You should contact an entertainment attorney and you should also address any IP (intellectual property) issues you have regarding your work, so that it is protected. You may also need NDAs or other documents drafted. I'm happy to offer a free consultation.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 5/8/2015
Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg | Eric S. Lumberg
An attorney can help with contract review and any other legal issues. Consult with an attorney in your area.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 5/1/2015
Law Office of T. Phillip Boggess | T. Phillip Boggess
Some attorneys have more relationships with these companies. So if you are looking to find one, you may want to find an attorney with the relationship. The alternative is to have an agent connect you two and then have the attorney who knows the area of law draft the documents.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 5/1/2015
Sebby Law Office
Sebby Law Office | Jayne Sebby
You can, if you can find an attorney who will provide this service. But it will be very expensive and there's no guarantee that the attorney will have any luck in making these connections. A better use of the attorney will be drawing up the contacts and licenses that you'll need to get the program made and distributed. You can make the contacts yourself or with the assistance of an agent. You will also need to have the cash in hand to pay the production company for it's work. If you haven't produced a show before, start small, such as at the local cable TV station, to get some experience.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 5/1/2015
Lawyer for Independent Media
Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
The best route is to have a very good budget so you can pay an attorney to make it worth their while. It is also good to have a strong production budget, so you can pay the production company. If you are trying to entice a production company to bear the cost or purchase the show from you, then you need to contact companies that might be able to do that. When you are presenting your show ideas or plans to any person or entity, you need a confidentiality agreement and a noncompete agreement saying they will not take your show idea and use it themselves. They are not likely to agree to sign such a thing. For their part, they will want you to sign a waiver saying that if they make a similar show, it is coincidental and you will not sue them. What this means is that you must tread very carefully in revealing your show plans to anyone. If the show plan sounds good, it is likely to be borrowed from and you are likely to lose out. Lawsuits about such things are rarely, if ever, successful, mainly because so many things in TV are considered stock or forumulaic, and these cannot have copyright.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/1/2015
Click to View More Answers: