Can an attorney charge you more if you go to trial? 2 Answers as of June 08, 2011

How much can a lawyer charge for representing you for a conspiracy charge and for a armed charge? If you decide to go to trial how much can they charge? Our lawyer charged us $10,000 to represent us but now wants to charge more if we want to go to trial but he still has not done anything for us. Can he change the prices like this? Could we change lawyers?

Can a lawyer charge one fee for a plea and a second fee for a trial? Yes, most do, this is the standard process. That said, the amount????? I don't know what your lawyer has done, where the case is pending or anything else, so I can't say if the fee is too high or not. It really depends on far too many factors to answer here, particularly, did you sign a contract and if so, what does it provide. As for changing lawyers, yes, you can change lawyers. It is your decision. Again, this should be specified in your contract.
The Purnell Law Firm
The Purnell Law Firm | Simon Purnell
An attorney can only charge you a reasonable fee that is normally described in a written agreement for professional services. In criminal cases it is not unusual to specify that a trial would be require an additional fee above a retainer because of the additional time the trial will require. However, the additional fee can be considered unethical if it is not reasonably related to the attorneys efforts.