Can an article of mine be published without my knowledge? 2 Answers as of September 20, 2010

I wrote an article for a well known publication way back in the mid 1980s. I now see the article popping up in multiple places online. Nobody has ever contacted me about publishing my article online. And it appears that they are earning money through advertising targeted at those reading my article. Can I demand a portion of the money that they have made?

You can demand anything you like. Whether your text is protected and protectable is a different question. If serious about taking legal action on this, feel free to contact me to arrange a consultation to discuss and review ALL the facts and issues.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Yes you can - however if you had registered your article within 90 days of its first publication you may also sue them for attorneys fees and statutory damage.